Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We're the largest full-service education and entertainment game development company in the United States. Since 2002, we've worked with world-class clients and partners to create interactive experiences that engage and inspire players of all ages across all platforms. Presently, we are focused on virtual reality, augmented reality, location-based experiences, and social games.
Do you like to work on innovative projects in a motivating, friendly atmosphere? Would you agree that games can engage and inspire?
If you answered "YES!" to both questions, you might be a fit for our studio!
DESIGN LEAD POSITION
We are seeking a Design Lead with the capability to both direct teams & establish & guide the vision for a wide variety of transformational & entertainment guest experiences.
The ideal candidate will bring strong skills in the following areas:
- Game Design: demonstrates a background in user-centered game design or equivalent user-focused experiences.
- Leadership Experience: demonstrates a history of successfully taking on project leadership roles.
- Vision Holder: demonstrates proven ability to collaborate with clients, partners & team members to establish and hold a vision for products.
- Transformational Design: demonstrates interest & experience in transformational media design.
- Agile Development: demonstrates experience with and understanding of agile development processes.
- Partner Relationships: has experience & interest in maintaining & growing partner relationships.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Synthesis: Provide leadership to the game team by engaging the team’s skills and experience and focusing effort, either overtly as a design lead or supportingly as a contributor.
- Features: Design, prototyping, and iteration of game features that realize the vision of the client.
- UX: Design elegant UI flow and player experience for game systems, work with UX designer/artist to implement and polish as needed.
- Content: Outline content needs for gameplay systems, work within multidisciplinary teams to scope, pipeline, and implement content in-game.
- Balance: Iterate, balance, and adjust gameplay elements based on internal and playtest feedback.
- Documentation - Draft, maintain and review internal design documentation, including feature specifications and implementation guides.
- Playtesting: Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize existing game experience.
- Narrative Design: Narrative structure, writing, editing, or evaluation of any of the above.
- Prototyping: Using tools or writing scripts of code to prototype new experiences and ideas, evaluating prototypes, working with a team to determine next steps.
- Concept Creation: Draft client or internal pitches for a variety of game genres and RPFs.
- Mentoring and / or training designers or other team members as appropriate.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Relevant education plus 5-10 years of industry experience
- Demonstrated success designing and creating compelling gameplay
- Ability to work collaboratively to support other designers, art, & tech team members
- Strong knowledge of prototyping best practices
- Strong knowledge of playtesting best practices
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable working in Google Docs & Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated success in delivering app or web-based entertainment or transformational software programs (preferably, but not limited to, games)
Return to the studio's home page.
Candidate selected for this position will be subject to standard employment verification and criminal background check upon offer of contingent employment.